The Echocardiography Laboratory performs comprehensive cardiac imaging for NHLBI and all institutes at the Clinical Research Center. They collaborate in prospective and retrospective cardiovascular phenotyping studies and implement new technologies as necessary for detailed assessment of ventricular systolic and diastolic function, valvular abnormalities, and structural heart disease.
Representative research applications include:
- 3D imaging for structural cardiac defects
- Strain imaging for ventricular function
- Contrast imaging for left ventricular size, function, and evaluation of intracardiac abnormalities
- Contrast perfusion imaging of myocardium and skeletal muscle for the evaluation of microvascular flow
- Protocol-specific imaging of patients with mitral regurgitation to evaluate newer methods for quantitation of regurgitation severity