National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute Gift Fund
The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) is not a fundraising organization, but it is authorized by the U.S. Congress to accept donations and bequests to support its mission. Such donations are kept in a gift fund account that is separate from the funds that are received each year from Congress.
How Donations Are Used
All donations to the NHLBI Gift Fund are considered to be 'unconditional', unless specified by the donor for a specific purpose. This means that all donations go into a general account to be utilized in support of the Institute's research mission and at the discretion of the NHLBI Director. Since our basic operating expenses and administrative costs are paid from funds received from Congress each year, Gift Fund donations are generally used for special projects.
Projects supported through the Gift Fund may vary from year to year to support activities including but not limited to the following:
- Special fellowships to train young scientists in NHLBI research.
- Equipment for clinical laboratories (such as specialized imaging equipment for pediatric cardiac research).
- The NIH Clinical Center's Patient Emergency Fund, which is used to assist patients in financial need. (Donations can also be made directly to the NIH Clinical Center for this purpose.)
- Workshops/conferences on subjects of special importance to NHLBI research.
- Dissemination of vital health information to patients, health professionals, and the general public.
- Funding of research projects.
- Support of efforts to recruit scientific staff.
How To Donate
- Send the NHLBI a check or money order.
- Include a donation letter with your check.
Contributions should be made in the form of check or money order payable to "NHLBI" with the words "Gift Fund" in the memo line. The check or money order should be sent to:
The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Building 31 Room 5A48
31 Center Drive, MSC 2486
Bethesda, MD 20892
Information to Include in Your Donation Letter to the NHLBI
You should include the following in your letter:
- Your name (contact person)
- Company name (if applicable)
- Street address
- City, state, and ZIP code
- Phone number (optional)
- Research Designation (optional). All donations are applied toward projects in support of heart, lung, blood, and sleep research as determined by the NHLBI Director. However, if you want your donation to be used for a specific type of research, you may state it in your letter and in the memo line of your check.
- Memorial Donations (optional). Please include the name of your loved one in your letter, as well as the name(s) and address(es) of the person(s) whom you would like the NHLBI to acknowledge for the memorial donation (a spouse, sibling, parent, etc.).
- Honorary Donations (optional). Please write the name of the person your donation is in honor of in your letter, as well as the name(s) and address(es) of the person(s) whom you would like the NHLBI to acknowledge for the honorary donation (the honoree, a spouse, a sibling, a parent, etc.).
If you have any further questions, please feel free to write to the NHLBI Office of Budget and Finance at the address above or call (301) 496-5166. You may also send any questions via email.