1.1 Choose NHLBI Materials
In this Section
Did you know that we have a number of ethnicity-specific heart health materials that you can use for your CHW program?
Our materials include 12-session manuals on heart health education. Each session covers a different topic and includes activities and handouts. The most common ways to use our materials are:
- As a package. Present all sessions in order. All of our heart health topics are covered and an evaluation piece is included for community health workers (CHWs). Session 1 lays the groundwork for the rest of the sessions. It provides an overview for the sessions, goes over group rules, covers heart health risk factors, and introduces a fictional family that is included in each session.
- By choosing certain sessions. Choose which of the sessions you plan to cover. We designed the sessions to work on their own or together. You can pick and choose the sessions that fit your program needs.
- By selecting parts of a session. Select any content, materials, and activities within the manual that enhance the work that you are doing. This allows you to “get what you need” without having to present an entire session or number of sessions. For example, you can do the following:
- Combine sessions. This lets you cover a number of heart health topics at one time.
- Use our picture cards, handouts, and recipes. For example, during the September National Cholesterol Month, if you are working with an African American community you might want to use the handouts from our With Every Heartbeat is Life manual, Session 5: Be Heart Smart: Keep Your Cholesterol in Check to supplement your organization’s education activities.
- Do activities. Interested in heart health bingo? How about organizing a walking club? Activities work on their own or as part of a session.
- By condensing sessions. Cover all sessions or a combination of them in an abbreviated format. If you do not work with CHWs but need heart health resources, we have tip sheets, recipe books, and risk factor booklets that you can use for many kinds of programs. See Plan Your Sessions for more ideas on how to use the materials.
If you do not work with CHWs but need heart health resources, we have tip sheets, recipe books, and risk factor booklets that you can use for many kinds of programs. See Plan Your Sessions for more ideas on how to use the materials.