A heart-healthy one-dish meal that is made with lean top round beef, lots of vegetables, and a spicy, herb mixture.
|1 lb||top round beef|
|1/2 tsp||chili powder|
|1/4 tsp||garlic powder|
|1/4 tsp||black pepper|
|1/8 tsp||red pepper|
|1/8 tsp||dry mustard|
|8||red-skinned potatoes, halved|
|3 C||finely chopped onion|
|2 C||beef broth|
|2 large||garlic cloves, minced|
|2 large||carrots, peeled, cut into very thin 2-1/2-inch strips|
|2 bunches||mustard greens, kale, or turnip greens, stems removed, (1/2 lb each) coarsely torn|
|as needed||nonstick spray coating|
- Partially freeze beef. Thinly slice across the grain into long strips 1/8-inch thick and 3 inches wide.
- Combine paprika, oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, black pepper, red pepper, and dry mustard. Coat strips of meat with the spice mixture.
- Spray a large heavy skillet with nonstick spray coating. Preheat pan over high heat.
- Add meat; cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, onion, broth, and garlic. Cook covered, over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Stir in carrots, lay greens over top, and cook, covered, until carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Serve in large serving bowl, with crusty bread for dunking.
Yield: 6 servings--Serving Size: 7 oz
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 4 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 45 mg
Sodium: 101 mg