Bananas and low-fat buttermilk give this old favorite its moistness and help lower the fat.
|1 C||mashed ripe bananas|
|1/3 C||low-fat buttermilk|
|1/2 C||packed brown sugar|
|2 C||sifted all-purpose flour|
|1 tsp||baking powder|
|1/2 tsp||baking soda|
|1/2 C||chopped pecans|
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Lightly oil two 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Stir together mashed bananas and buttermilk; set aside.
- Cream brown sugar and margarine together until light. Beat in egg. Add banana mixture; beat well.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; add all at once to liquid ingredients. Stir until well blended.
- Stir in nuts and turn into prepared pan.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan.
- Remove from pan and complete cooling on a wire rack before slicing.
Yield: One loaf--Serving Size: 1/2-inch slice
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 5 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 12 mg
Sodium: 138 mg