This quick Southern dish contains no added fat and very little added salt in its spicy tomato sauce.
|as needed||nonstick cooking spray|
|4||medium chicken breast halves, skinned, boned, and cut into 1-inch strips*|
|1 can (14 oz)||tomatoes, cut up**|
|1 C||low-sodium chili sauce|
|1-1/2 C||green peppers, chopped (1 large)|
|1/2 C||celery, chopped|
|1/4 C||onion, chopped|
|2||cloves minced garlic|
|1 Tbsp||fresh basil or 1 tsp dried|
|1 Tbsp||fresh parsley or 1 tsp dried|
|1/4 tsp||crushed red pepper|
- Spray a deep skillet with nonstick spray coating. Preheat pan over high heat.
- Cook chicken in hot skillet, stirring, for 3-5 minutes, or until no longer pink. Reduce heat.
- Add tomatoes and their juice, low-sodium chili sauce, green pepper, celery, onion, garlic, basil, parsley, crushed red pepper, and salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Serve over hot cooked rice or whole wheat pasta.
- * You can substitute 1 lb boneless, skinless, chicken breast, cut into 1-inch strips.
- ** To cut back on sodium, try low sodium canned tomatoes.
Yield: 4 servings--Serving Size: 1-1/2 cup
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 3 g
Saturated fat: less than 1 g
Cholesterol: 100 mg
Sodium: 465 mg