Since the 2005 launch of We Can!®, hundreds of organizations have joined the national movement as General Community Sites. These sites include YMCAs, schools, hospitals, parks and recreation departments, universities, private companies, and many others.
This site level is the most basic of the three. The other two—the Intensive Community Site and We Can! City/County levels—require a higher level of commitment because they require that sites offer a greater number of activities.
When you sign up to become a We Can! site, you will receive a welcome email with links to downloadable resources and materials to help get your programming up and running. The NIH also provides General Community Sites with these great benefits:
- National recognition from the NIH on the We Can! website
- Access to a variety of science-based program tools and resources
- Participation in a dynamic network of community sites and national partners and corporate partners
- Program support through technical assistance, conference calls, listservs, and eNewsletters
- Access to success stories and lessons learned by other community sites
In exchange, the NIH asks each General Community Site to commit to running any two of the following three activities in one year:
- One youth program/curriculum
- One parent program/curriculum
- One community outreach event
If you are interested in becoming a General Community Site, please contact the We Can! staff at NHLBI_WeCanTeam@mail.nih.gov.