Crunchy Chicken Fingers With Tangy Dipping Sauce
- ½ teaspoon reduced-sodium crab seasoning (or substitute ¼ teaspoon paprika and ¼ teaspoon garlic powder for a sodium-free alternative)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon whole-wheat flour
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, cut into 12 strips
- 2 tablespoons fat-free (skim) milk
- 1 egg white (or substitute 2 tablespoons egg white substitute)
- 3 cups cornflake cereal, crushed
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup 100 percent orange juice
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons deli mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Mix crab seasoning, pepper, and flour in a bowl.
- Add chicken strips, and toss well to coat evenly.
- Combine milk and egg white in a separate bowl, and mix well. Pour over seasoned chicken, and toss well.
- Place crushed cornflakes in a separate bowl. Dip each chicken strip into the cornflakes, and coat well. Place strips on a nonstick baking sheet. (Discard any leftover cornflake mixture.)
- Bake chicken strips for 10–12 minutes (to a minimum internal temperature of 165ºF).
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce by combining all ingredients and mixing well.
- Serve three chicken strips with ¼ cup dipping sauce.
Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: 3 chicken strips, ¼ cup sauce
Total Fat 2 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 47 mg
Sodium 422 mg
Total Fiber 1 g
Protein 20 g
Carbohydrates 36 g
Potassium 303 mg
Recipe Source: Keep the Beat™ Recipes: Deliciously Healthy Family Meals