Editors and Reporters
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI)
Press Conference on First Federal Obesity Clinical Practice Guidelines WHEN: 10:00 a.m., June 17, 1998
J.W. Marriott Hotel, 1331 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W., Washington, D.C. Salon IV of the Grand Ballroom
You've heard about body mass index (BMI), waist circumference, and risk factors. Now hear the whole story. Find out why overweight and obesity are a critically important health issue for the American public. Find out why Americans are getting fatter and hear about ways to prevent and effectively treat these conditions. Learn what the guidelines say about healthy eating, cooking, and dining out.
Press conference speakers will be:
- Claude Lenfant, M.D., Director, NHLBI
- Phillip Gorden, M.D., Director, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases
- Martha N. Hill, R.N., Ph.D., President, American Heart Association
- Xavier Pi-Sunyer, M.D., Chairman of the obesity guidelines' expert panel and Director, Obesity Research Center, St. Luke's/Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York City
- Shiriki Kumanyika, Ph.D., R.D., expert panel member and Head, Department of Human Nutrition and Dietetics, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Karen Donato, M.S., R.D., Coordinator of the NHLBI Obesity Education Initiative
NOTE: Copies of the guidelines and practical consumer information will be available at the press conference.