Center for Translation Research and Implementation Science (CTRIS), National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI)
Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA)
In collaboration with the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA), the Center for Translation Research and Implementation Science (CTRIS) at the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute sponsored a workshop in Georgetown, Guyana, April 24-26, 2017, to build research capacity in the Caribbean region, especially through the lens of late-stage translation research. This workshop brought together researchers and public health professionals from 5 Caribbean countries, along with representatives from the Global Alliance for Chronic Disease, CARPHA, Caribbean ministries of health, NHLBI, the National Cancer Institute, the Center for Scientific Review, and Fogarty International Center, around a timely goal to better address the rise in NCD prevalence within the Caribbean region. It sought to provide early-stage research investigators and medical officers with the tools necessary to better utilize implementation science frameworks for driving improved health outcomes, especially as they continue along the path of competitive research support. The workshop aimed to: (1) expand knowledge of implementation science methodology and practice; (2) introduce participants to both the NIH grant application and peer review processes; (3) highlight key information about NIH funding mechanisms that best support participant research interests; and (4) provide strategies for writing successful grant applications. Overall, the workshop provided a forum to build the research capacity of scientists and medical officers in the Caribbean region as they utilize late-stage translation research to improve regional health outcomes.
Workshop presentations included:
- NCDs in the Caribbean: The Current Situation and A Way Forward
- Challenges and Opportunities for Research on Heart, Lung, Blood, and Sleep Diseases and Disorders: The NHLBI Strategic Vision
- What is Implementation Science and Why Does It Matter?
- Designing Successful Dissemination & Implementation Research Projects
- Implementation Research Supported by the Fogarty International Center
- Perspectives on Grant Writing for Success
- Grants 101:
- Fundamentals of the NIH Grants Process
- Applying for NIH Grants
- Common Pitfalls and Strategies for Success
- The NIH Peer Review Process
- Building Effective Collaborations
For more information, please contact Brad Newsome, Ph.D. at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-827-8170.