Try Lupe's Tips for Family Parties:
- Don't go to the party hungry. Eat a healthy snack before you leave home.
- Bring a heart healthy dish to share. Prepare a tasty dish with lots of vegetables.
- Cut down on calories and high-fat foods. Eat more vegetables and fruits instead of fried foods.
- Watch your portions. Go for small portions, and eat slowly.
- Take the focus off food. Dance, take walks, or play sports.
Lupe says: "I have a big family, and we have a lot of parties. Now, I prepare healthier dishes to take to the parties. I encourage everyone to dance or to take a walk. I want my family to follow a healthy path."
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
Public Health Service
National Institutes of Health
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
NIH Publication No. 08-6354