Turkey Stuffed Cabbage
This hearty entree uses half ground turkey and half lean ground beef and no added salt for a lower fat and salt taste treat.
|1 head ||cabbage
|1/2 lb ||lean ground beef
|1/2 lb ||ground turkey
|1 small ||onion, minced
|1 slice ||stale whole wheat bread, crumbled
|1 Tbsp ||lemon juice
|1/4 C ||water
|1/8 tsp ||black pepper
|1 can (16 oz) || diced tomatoes
|1 small ||onion, sliced
|1 C ||water
|1 medium || carrot, sliced
|1 Tbsp || lemon juice
|2 Tbsp || brown sugar
|1 Tbsp || cornstarch
Yield: 5 servings--Serving Size: 2 rolls each
- Rinse and core cabbage. Carefully remove 10 outer leaves, place in saucepan
and cover with boiling water. Simmer 5 minutes.
Remove and drain cooked cabbage leaves on paper toweling.
- Shred 1/2 cup of raw cabbage and set aside.
- Brown ground beef and turkey and minced onion in skillet. Drain fat.
- Place cooked and drained meat mixture, bread crumbs, water, and pepper
in mixing bowl.
- Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid, and add 1/2 cup tomato juice from can to meat mixture.
Mix well; then place 1/4 cup filling on each parboiled, drained cabbage leaf.
Place folded side down in skillet.
- Add tomatoes, sliced onion, water, shredded cabbage, and carrot.
Cover and simmer about 1 hour (or until cabbage is tender), basting occasionally.
- Remove cabbage rolls to serving platter, keep warm.
- Mix lemon juice, brown sugar, and cornstarch together in small bowl.
Add to vegetables and liquid in skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and clear. Serve over cabbage rolls.
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 9 g
Saturated fat: 3 g
Cholesterol: 54 mg
Sodium: 266 mg