Newborn Breathing Conditions Diagnosis
When a newborn has difficulty breathing, healthcare providers must act quickly to find out what is wrong. Many types of newborn breathing conditions can be treated if they are discovered early.
There are many ways for a provider to find out whether a newborn has a breathing condition.
- A physical examination can help find any symptoms of breathing trouble.
- Lung imaging tests, such as chest X-rays, show how well the lungs expand and if the size or function of the heart is affected by the condition. X-rays are used to diagnose most types of newborn breathing conditions.
- Skin sensors check the levels of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the blood.
- Heart tests such as an echocardiogram can check for a possible congenital heart defect.
- Blood tests look for an infection.