The results from a nuclear heart scan can help doctors:
- Diagnose heart conditions, such as coronary heart disease (CHD), and decide the best course of treatment.
- Manage certain heart diseases, such as CHD and heart failure, and predict short-term or long-term survival.
- Determine your risk for a heart attack.
- Decide whether other heart tests or procedures will help you. Examples of these tests and procedures include coronary angiography (an-jee-OG-rah-fee) and cardiac catheterization (KATH-eh-ter-ih-ZA-shun).
- Decide whether procedures that increase blood flow to the coronary arteries will help you. Examples of these procedures include angioplasty (AN-jee-oh-plas-tee) and coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG).
- Monitor procedures or surgeries that have been done, such as CABG or a heart transplant.