You can take steps to prevent heart failure. The sooner you start, the better your chances of preventing or delaying the condition.
For People Who Have Healthy Hearts
If you have a healthy heart, you can take action to prevent heart disease and heart failure. To reduce your risk of heart disease:
- Avoid using illegal drugs.
- Adopt heart-healthy lifestyle habits.
For People Who Are at High Risk for Heart Failure
- Follow all of the steps listed above. Talk with your doctor about what types and amounts of physical activity are safe for you.
- Treat and control any conditions that can cause heart failure. Take medicines as your doctor prescribes.
- Avoid drinking alcohol.
- See your doctor for ongoing care.
For People Who Have Heart Damage but No Signs of Heart Failure
If you have heart damage but no signs of heart failure, you can still reduce your risk of developing the condition. In addition to the steps above, take your medicines as prescribed to reduce your heart’s workload.