You can't prevent inherited types of cardiomyopathy. However, you can take steps to lower your risk for diseases or conditions that may lead to or complicate cardiomyopathy. Examples include coronary heart disease, high blood pressure, and heart attack.
Your doctor may advise you to make heart-healthy lifestyle changes, such as:
- Avoiding the use of alcohol and illegal drugs
- Getting enough sleep and rest
- Heart-healthy eating
- Physical activity
- Quitting smoking
- Managing stress
Your cardiomyopathy may be due to an underlying disease or condition. If you treat that condition early enough, you may be able to prevent cardiomyopathy complications. For example, to control high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, and diabetes:
- Follow your doctor’s advice about lifestyle changes.
- Get regular checkups with your doctor.
- Take all of your medicines as your doctor prescribes.