You can't prevent inherited types of cardiomyopathy. However, you can take steps to lower your risk for diseases or conditions that may lead to or complicate cardiomyopathy. Examples include coronary heart disease, high blood pressure, and heart attack.
Your doctor may advise you to make heart-healthy lifestyle changes, such as:
- Heart-healthy eating and being physically active
- Quitting smoking
- Avoiding the use of alcohol and illegal drugs
- Getting enough sleep and rest
- Reducing stress
Your cardiomyopathy may be due to an underlying disease or condition. If you treat that condition early enough, you may be able to prevent cardiomyopathy complications. For example, to control high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, and diabetes:
- Get regular checkups with your doctor.
- Follow your doctor's advice about lifestyle changes.
- Take all of your medicines as your doctor prescribes.