Hospitals and Health Care Systems
If you are a hospital or health care system and are interested in implementing
We Can!®, here are some resources to get you started.
- We Can! Energize our Families: Parent Program (4.4 MB) is a curriculum for parents, available in four- and six-lesson versions. Both versions include activities that help parents encourage a healthy weight in their family. Several community sites find this curriculum to be adaptable to both parents and youth—and some hospitals and health care systems even refer their at-risk patients (and their families) to the classes.
- Families Finding the Balance: A Parent Handbook (1.4 MB) offers practical tips from We Can! to help parents help their families find the right balance of eating well and being physically active to maintain a healthy weight.
Tip Sheets: We Can! offers several tip sheets that can help your organization, your patients and their families, and your community maintain a healthy weight. Be sure to check out the following:
- The Physicians' Role in Preventing Childhood Overweight and Obesity
- Get Started! Eating Healthy and Moving More (91 KB)
- We Can! Parent Tips: Healthy Families, Healthy Weight (88 KB)
- Secrets to Making Healthy and Fun School Lunches (85 KB)
- U R What U Eat (1.4 MB)
A variety of hospitals and health care systems have already joined the We Can! movement and are implementing the program in a number of ways! Civista Medical Center in La Plata, Maryland, teams up with the Charles County Health Department and medical professionals to offer We Can! classes, host We Can! events, and even air We Can! media throughout the community. UPMC Health Plan in Pittsburgh partners with the HEALTHY Armstrong coalition in nearby Armstrong County, the Children's Museum of Pittsburgh, and the Jewish Community Center of Greater Pittsburgh to implement We Can! curricula and events.