- 2 10-ounce packages frozen, cut okra
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 14 ½-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 fresh jalapeño pepper (or habanero chile), pierced 3 times with a fork
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Rinse okra in a colander under hot water.
- Heat oil in a 10-inch heavy skilled over moderately high heat. Sauté onion for about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes (including juice) and chile, and boil. Stir the mixture for 8 minutes. Add okra and cook, gently stirring, until okra is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in salt and pepper and discard the chile.
Yield: 10 servings
Serving Size: ½ cup
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 133 mg
Total Fiber 5 g
Protein 4 g
Carbohydrates 15 g
Potassium 563 mg
Recipe Source: Heart Healthy Home Cooking African American Style