Spicy Tomato Relish
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Black pepper, to taste
- 4 5-ounce salmon steaks
- 3 cups water
- 4 black peppercorns
- 1 lemon, thickly sliced
- 3 parsley sprigs
- 1 small onion, thickly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- For relish, combine all ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Using a pan large enough to hold salmon steaks, bring water to a boil and add peppercorns, lemon slices, parsley, onion and bay leaf.
- Lower heat to a gentle simmer, cover and let flavors infuse for 5 minutes. Add salmon steaks and make sure they are covered with water. Add additional water if needed.
- Cook, uncovered, for 10 to 12 minutes or until fish is just tender. It will flake easily when tested with a fork. Never let water boil or fish will toughen.
- Divide the relish on four plates.
Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: 1 salmon steak and ¼ cup relish
Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 93 mg
Sodium 94 mg
Total Fiber 2 g
Protein 31 g
Carbohydrates 7 g
Potassium 945 mg
Recipe Source: Heart Healthy Home Cooking African American Style