- 14 ounces low-fat turkey kielbasa
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 medium celery stalk, chopped
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 14 ½-ounce can of diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 ½ cups uncooked brown rice
- 4 cups water
- 2 cubes, low-sodium chicken bouillon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ½ teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- Wash chicken and pat dry. Cut the chicken breast and kielbasa into 1-inch chunks.
- Spray a medium-sized pan with nonstick cooking spray. Brown the sausage and chicken over medium heat and remove from the pan.
- Add next 6 ingredients to the same pot and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Put the cooked meat back into the pot; add the rice, water, chicken bouillon cubes, bay leaf, and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and let simmer for about 50 minutes* or until the water is evaporated.
- Stir in parsley and serve warm.
*Instant brown rice will take less time.
Yield: 9 servings
Serving Size: 1 cup
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 53 mg
Sodium 531 mg
Total Fiber 5 g
Protein 22 g
Carbohydrates 31 g
Potassium 427 mg
Recipe Source: Heart Healthy Home Cooking African American Style