Chichadillo (Chicken Picadillo)
1 pound chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cut into thin strips
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
1 medium red pepper, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, mashed
1/3 cup no-salt-added tomato sauce
1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup water
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
2 bay leaves
¼ cup golden raisins
Fresh cilantro leaves
1 tablespoon capers, drained
2 tablespoons green olives, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, peppers, and garlic, and sauté until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and stirfry for another 5 to 10 minutes, until the chicken has cooked through.
- Add the tomato sauce, chicken broth, lemon juice, cumin, bay leaves, water, and raisins to the vegetables and chicken.
- Cover the pan and reduce the heat. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve with brown rice and black beans. Garnish with fresh cilantro, capers, and olives.
Yield: 6 servings
Serving Size: ¾ cup
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 46 mg
Sodium 133 mg
Total Fiber 2 g
Protein 18 g
Carbohydrates 13 g
Potassium 380 mg