Tipsheet: Eating Healthy When Dining Out
Regardless of whether you're trying to lose weight, you
can eat healthy when dining out, if you know how.
So, if you're treating yourself to a meal out, here are some tips
to help make it a dining experience that is both tasty and good for you.
Will the restaurant:
- Serve margarine rather than butter with the meal?
- Serve fat-free (skim) milk rather than whole milk or cream?
- Trim visible fat from poultry or meat?
- Leave all butter, gravy, or cream sauces off a dish?
- Serve salad dressing on the side?
- Accommodate special requests?
- Use less cooking oil when cooking?
Select foods that are:
- Steamed in their own juice (au jus)
- Lightly sauteed
Healthy Weight Tip
Ask your server how the menu items are prepared. Healthy substitutions like using a red sauce instead of an Alfredo (white, creamy) sauce in Italian dishes are easy to make.