The NHLBI seeks training career applications on highly innovative research in the following areas:
- Epidemiological research that elucidates the mechanisms, etiology, pathogenesis, prevention, diagnosis and treatment of heart, lung, and blood diseases and sleep disorders.
- Biostatistics research leading to the development of innovative methods for designing studies and analyzing data in clinical and population-based research. This may include clinical trials and epidemiologic, genomic, proteomic, or metabolomic studies in heart, lung, blood diseases and sleep disorders.
- Outcomes research involving the comparison of screening, diagnostic, preventive or treatment strategies for heart, lung, blood diseases and sleep disorders.
- Implementation (T4 translation) research that addresses strategies for sustained adoption of proven, effective interventions in communities, health systems, clinicians, patients and families for heart, lung, and blood diseases and sleep disorders.
- State of the art research studies reflected above that use large data sources and electronic health records are encouraged.