The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) is hosting a virtual workshop titled “Enhancing Implementation of Guidelines and Evidence-based Care in Clinical and Community Settings (ENGAGE)” on Monday, October 16, 2023: 11:00 AM - 4:30 PM ET and Tuesday, October 17, 2023: 11:00 AM - 4:30 PM ET.
- This workshop will examine intrinsic and extrinsic factors related to guidelines development, dissemination, and implementation, and to identify near-term priority gap areas and potential research approaches needed to address them, with the following objectives in mind:
To understand how enhancing guideline development, dissemination, and implementation can be configured to improve health decision making and/or efficiency and/or quality of health services; and to reduce health disparities and practice variations.
- To explore factors related to successful approaches to enhancing guidelines implementation in a variety of settings, and identify gap areas.
- To highlight programs, resources, and conceptual frameworks that are particularly well-suited to enable successful dissemination and implementation research for enhancing clinical practice guidelines uptake and use.
Key questions for the workshop:
- How can successful programs, approaches, and frameworks be leveraged to develop implementation strategies for delivering guideline concordant care in clinical and community settings?
- How can enhanced implementation and dissemination of guidelines reduce health disparities in various settings?
- Are there differences in rural versus urban, community versus clinic settings, etc.?
- How are practice variations best addressed to improve health disparities so everyone who is “guidelines eligible” is referred to and/or receives recommended care?
- What are the implications in a post-COVID era for approaches to enhancing guidelines-based care uptake and utilization, for example, expanded use of telehealth, hybrid programs, etc.?
- How can digital health platforms be used to enhance guidelines dissemination and implementation at patient, provider, systems/organizational levels (for example, clinical decision support, behavioral nudges, etc.)?
- How can we best ensure acceptability and adaptations for cultural appropriateness via strong community engagement to facilitate uptake and use of CPGs? How to include patients, caregivers, families?
- What is working well/what are the gaps in current strategies in dissemination of evidence-based practices? Who are guidelines dissemination partners?
- What are the intrinsic factors related to guideline development that facilitate use of the guideline recommendations?
This workshop is open to the public. Day 1 presentations will be videocast and recorded. Day 2 videocast and recording will only be available from 1:30-4:30 PM ET.
Agenda Coming Soon
Day 1: (Link to come)
Day 2: (Link to come)