Objective 7: Leverage emerging opportunities in data science to open new frontiers in HLBS research
New technologies, from “omics” platforms to high-throughput screening, have generated vast amounts of data that have the potential to provide new insights into the preemption and precise treatment of heart, lung, blood, and sleep (HLBS) disorders. Unfortunately, only a small portion of this data is being optimally assessed and incorporated into practice. Developing innovative approaches to the integration, analysis, and interpretation of data from multiple sources will be essential. This information can then be effectively used to understand biological, social, and behavioral determinants associated with HLBS health and disease and to improve patient outcomes.
- Empower heart failure patients and their health care providers to co-manage care by using smartphone apps with personalized treatment algorithms that integrate electronic health record data, medication use monitors, and personal sensor data (e.g., body weight, heart rhythm, fluid balance) to sustain optimal function and quality of life.
- Accelerate the discovery of mediators of health and disease through the seamless and shared use of readily accessible cloud-based datasets that integrate genomics and other omics analyses with carefully phenotyped research participant data from diverse sources.
- Develop handheld devices to process and integrate genomics, clinical, and personal health data at the bedside to assist clinicians in their care of patients.
- Understand normal biological function and resilience
- Investigate newly discovered pathobiological mechanisms important to the onset and progression of HLBS diseases
- Investigate factors that account for differences in health among populations
- Identify factors that account for individual differences in pathobiology and in responses to treatments
- Develop and optimize novel diagnostic and therapeutic strategies to prevent, treat, and cure HLBS diseases
- Optimize clinical and implementation research to improve health and reduce disease
- Leverage emerging opportunities in data science to open new frontiers in HLBS research
- Further develop, diversify, and sustain a scientific workforce capable of accomplishing the NHLBI’s mission