The NHLBI Office of Translational Alliances and Coordination (OTAC) helps to accelerate the transition of new discoveries into innovative biomedical products to prevent, diagnose, and treat heart, lung, and blood-related diseases and disorders. OTAC coordinates the NHLBI Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR and STTR) program as well as two translational research initiatives directed at advancing new technologies from the university to the marketplace: the NIH Centers for Accelerated Innovations (NCAI) and the NIH Research Evaluation and Commercialization Hubs (REACH) programs. In addition, OTAC serves as a central point-of-contact for information about the NHLBI’s small business funding opportunities; facilitates alliances between the federal and private sector stakeholders; and offers resources and advisory services to support biomedical innovators.
The NHLBI Small Business Program enables US-owned and operated small businesses to engage in research and development on innovative and commercially promising products and services to prevent, diagnose, and treat heart, lung, and blood-related diseases and disorders.
For questions about the NHLBI Small Business Program, please contact Dr. Kurt Marek
Regulatory and Business Development Expertise
- Business Development: Dr. Gary Robinson provides advice on product and business development strategies.
- Regulatory Affairs: Dr. Chris Sasiela offers regulatory affairs education and strategy development assistance for investigators engaged in biomedical product development.
- Entrepreneurs-in-Residence: Dr. Ethel Rubin provides investment, business and product development strategy assistance to industry and academic innovators on therapeutic, device and diagnostic technologies. Dr. Steve Wolpe advises innovators in academia and industry on product and business development plans for therapeutics, biologics and diagnostics. Luis Gutierrez helps companies that are developing novel and clinically promising technologies to make the transition to become successful commercial enterprises.
For information on how to reach us with your questions about regulatory and business development matters, please visit the Contact Us page of our website.
NIH Centers for Accelerated Innovations (NCAI) & Research Evaluation and Commercialization Hubs (REACH)
The NIH Centers for Accelerated Innovations accelerate the translation of scientific discovery into products that improve health for patients. With these two programs, the NIH has created a nationwide network of six Centers and Hubs to develop best practices in translating academic innovations into new drugs, devices, and diagnostics.
For more info about NCAI/REACH, please visit NCAI/REACH
Resources and Outreach Activities
- NHLBI Resources for NHLBI-Funded Innovators and Small Businesses
- NHLBI Showcase Conference Opportunities
Last Updated: February 2017