The Electron Microscopy Core Facility provides advice, technical services, training and use of facilities to NHLBI intramural investigators who require electron microscopy (EM) to answer specific research questions. In general, this refers to questions involving subcellular, supramolecular or macromolecular structure at a level of resolution below that of the light microscope.
The facility is equipped with two 120kV transmission electron microscopes and one scanning electron microscope as well as the preparative equipment for most biological EM applications. One transmission electron microscope is a current model equipped for electron tomography and automated montage acquisition.
- JEOL JEM 1400 Transmission Electron Microscope with AMT 11 Megapixel Bottom Mount Digital Camera and Serial EM software
- JEOL JEM 1200EXII transmission electron microscope equipped with an AMT XR-60 digital camera
- Hitachi S-3400N1 Scanning Electron Microscope with automated XY stage control
- Leica Ultracut UCT Ultramicrotome with EM FCS Cryo Accessory
- Leica Ultracut S Ultramicrotome
- RMC MTXL Ultramicrotome
- Tousimis Samdri-795 Critical Point Dryer
- EMS 575X Sputter Coater
- Denton Benchtop Turbo Vacuum Evaporator
- JEOL JFD-V Freeze Fracture/Freeze Etch Device
- Pelco Biowave Pro Microwave Processor
- Pelco EasiGlow Automated Plasma Cleaner