Data Needs for Cardiovascular Events, Management, and Outcomes
National Emergency Medical Services Information System - Dr. Greg Mears
What is NEMSIS? The National Association of State EMS Directors
is working with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
and the Trauma/EMS Systems program of the Health Resources and Services
Administration (HRSA) to develop a national EMS database. The uses of
such a database include:
- Developing nationwide EMS training curricula.
- Evaluating patient and EMS system outcomes.
- Facilitating research efforts.
- Determining national fee schedules and reimbursement rates.
- Addressing resources for disaster and domestic preparedness.
- Providing valuable information on other issues or areas of need related
to EMS care.
The NEMSIS Project. The NEMSIS grant is an ongoing project with
the following tasks:
- Promote the NHTSA Uniform Pre-Hospital Dataset.
- Promote the National EMS Information System Dataset.
- Promote the National EMS Information System Business Implementation
- Design and implement a Pilot National EMS Database with web reporting
capabilities as a proof of concept.
- Support and promote state EMS data initiatives directed at implementing
Participating States. 48 States NASEMSD states and 3 territory
members have formally agreed to promote and support all EMS data initiatives
within their states to conform to the NHTSA Version 2 dataset. These states
will call upon vendors of EMS information system software to assist in
implementing the National EMS Information System.
Components of NEMSIS
- The NHTSA Uniform Pre-Hospital EMS Dataset, Version 2.
- A comprehensive dataset which serves as a reference to local
and state EMS systems as they develop and implement EMS data systems.
- Captures the following components of EMS service and patient care
- Dispatch Data
- Incident Data
- Patient Data
- Medical History
- Medical Device Data
- Injury/Trauma Data
- Cardiac Arrest Data
- Financial Data
- EMS System Demographic Data
- EMS Personnel Demographic Data
- Quality Management Indicators
- Outcome Indicators
- Domestic Terrorism Data
- Linkage Data
- National EMS Dataset
- A small subset of the NHTSA Uniform Pre-Hospital dataset consisting
of 68 key data elements.
- This is the minimal dataset each state is recommended to collect
- Each state may choose to collect any amount of data between the
full NHTSA Uniform Pre-Hospital Dataset and the National EMS Dataset.
- Used to establish the National EMS Database.
- National EMS Database
- The "warehouse" which will store the data collected
from each state based on their chosen dataset.
- Web-based reporting capability to better define and describe EMS
systems, personnel, and services across the country.
- XML standard
- Allows new and existing EMS datasets to import or export data
based on the version 2 NHTSA dataset standards.
- Business Model
- Used for the deployment of the National EMS Information System
at the local, state, and national levels.
- NHTSA Version 2 Uniform Pre-Hospital Dataset
- NHTSA Version 2 XML Data Standard
- National EMS Database Dataset (66 data-element subset of the NHTSA
Version 2 Dataset)
- NEMSIS Business Model and Implementation Plan
- American Ambulance Association (AAA)
- American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP)
- American College of Surgeons: Committee on Trauma (ACS-COT)
- American Heart Association (AHA)
- Emergency Medical Research Outcomes Project (EMSOP)
- International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC)
- International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF)
- National Academy of Emergency Medical Dispatch (NAEMD)
- National Association of EMS Physicians (NAEMSP)
- National Association of EMS Quality Professionals (NAEMSQP)
- National Association of State EMS Directors (NASEMSD)
- National Emergency Number Association (NENA)
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- EMSC National Resource Center (NRC)
- Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA)
- HRSA's Emergency Medical Services for Children Program (EMSC)
- HRSA's Office of Rural Health Policy (ORHP)
- HRSA's Trauma/EMS Systems Program
- National EMSC Data Analysis Resource Center (NEDARC)
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
Funding: This contract is funded by the Health Resources and Services
Administration (HRSA) Trauma/EMS Systems Program and the National Highway
Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
Greg Mears, MD, FACEP
University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
Phone: (919) 843-0201
N. Clay Mann, PhD, MS
University of Utah School of Medicine
Intermountain Injury Control Research Center
Phone: (801) 581-6410
Back to Workshop Agenda