Using nonstick cooking spray, ground turkey, and no added salt helps to make this classic dish heart-healthy.
|as needed||nonstick cooking spray|
|1 lb||ground turkey|
|1 can||(28 oz) tomatoes, cut up|
|1 C||finely chopped green pepper|
|1 C||finely chopped onion|
|2 cloves||garlic, minced|
|1 tsp||dried oregano, crushed|
|1 tsp||black pepper|
|1 lb||spaghetti, uncooked|
- Spray a large skillet with nonstick spray coating. Preheat over high heat.
- Add turkey; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Drain fat and discard.
- Stir in tomatoes with their juice, green pepper, onion, garlic, oregano, and black pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer covered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove cover; simmer for 15 minutes more. (If you like a creamier sauce, give sauce a whirl in your blender or food processor.)
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti in unsalted water. Drain well.
- Serve sauce over spaghetti.
Yield: 6 servings--Serving Size: 5 oz sauce and 9 oz spaghetti
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 5 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 60 mg
Sodium: 280 mg