Oven baking makes these french fries lower in fat and still crispy.
|4 large||potatoes (2 lbs)|
|8 cups||ice water|
|1 tsp||garlic powder|
|1 tsp||onion powder|
|1 tsp||white pepper|
|1 tsp||hot pepper flakes|
|1 Tbsp||vegetable oil|
- Scrub potatoes and cut into long 1/2-inch strips.
- Place potato strips into ice water, cover, and chill for 1 hour or longer.
- Remove potatoes and dry strips thoroughly.
- Place garlic powder, onion powder, salt, white pepper, allspice, and pepper flakes in a plastic bag.
- Toss potatoes in spice mixture.
- Brush potatoes with oil.
- Place potatoes in nonstick shallow baking pan.
- Cover with aluminum foil and place in 475° F oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue baking uncovered for an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Turn fries occasionally to brown on all sides.
Makes 5 servings--Serving size: 1 cup
Fat 4 g
Saturated fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 163 mg