Skimming the fat off the chicken stock and using a minimum of oil and no added salt means that this crunchy rice is lower in fat, saturated fat, and sodium.
|1 C||chicken stock or broth, skim fat from top|
|11/3 C||uncooked long-grain white rice|
|2 tsp||vegetable oil|
|2 Tbsp||finely chopped onion|
|2 T||finely chopped green pepper|
|1/2 C||chopped pecans|
|1/4 tsp||ground sage|
|1 C||finely chopped celery|
|1/2 C||sliced water chestnuts|
|to taste||black pepper|
- Bring water and stock to a boil in medium-size saucepan.
- Add rice and stir. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Reserve.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet.
- Saute onion and celery over moderate heat 3 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients including reserved cooked rice. Fluff with fork before serving.
Yield: 10 servings--Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 5 g
Saturated fat: less than 1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 86 mg