A cholesterol-free classic Italian vegetable soup brimming with fiber-rich beans, peas, and carrots.
|1/4 C||olive oil|
|1 clove||garlic, minced or 1/8 tsp garlic powder|
|1-1/3 C||coarsely chopped onion|
|1-1/2 C||coarsely chopped celery and leaves|
|1 can (6 oz)||tomato paste|
|1 Tbsp||chopped fresh parsley|
|1 C||sliced carrots, fresh or frozen|
|4-3/4 C||shredded cabbage|
|1 can||(1 lb) tomatoes, cut up|
|1 C||canned red kidney beans, drained and rinsed|
|1-1/2 C||frozen peas|
|1-1/2 C||fresh green beans|
|2 C||uncooked, broken spaghetti|
- Heat oil in a 4-quart saucepan.
- Add garlic, onion, and celery and sauté about 5 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients except spaghetti, and stir until ingredients are well mixed.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add uncooked spaghetti and simmer 2-3 minutes only.
Yield: 16 servings--Serving Size: 1 cup
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 4 g
Saturated fat: less than 1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 191 mg