This pie uses only a small amount of oil in the crust and skim milk in the filling to make it heart-healthy.
For the pie crust:
|1 C||quick cooking oats|
|1/4 C||whole wheat flour|
|1/4 C||ground almonds|
|2 Tbsp||brown sugar|
|3 Tbsp||vegetable oil|
For the pie filling:
|1/4 C||packed brown sugar|
|1/2 tsp||ground cinnamon|
|1/4 tsp||ground nutmeg|
|1 C||canned pumpkin|
|2/3 C||evaporated skim milk|
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- Mix oats, flour, almonds, sugar, and salt together in small mixing bowl.
- Blend oil and water together in measuring cup with fork or small wire whisk until emulsified.
- Add oil mixture to dry ingredients and mix well. If needed, add small amount of water to hold mixture together.
- Press into a 9-inch pie pan and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until light brown.
- Turn down oven to 350º F.
- Mix sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together in a bowl.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix to blend ingredients.
- Add pumpkin and milk and stir to combine.
- Pour into prepared pie shells.
- Bake 45 minutes at 350º F or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
Yield: 9 servings--Serving Size: 1/9 of a 9-inch pie
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 8 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 24 mg
Sodium: 153 mg