Using low-fat milk instead of cream lowers the saturated fat content in this hearty dish.
|1 Tbsp||vegetable oil|
|2 Tbsp||finely diced celery|
|2 Tbsp||finely diced onion|
|2 Tbsp||finely diced green pepper|
|1 package||frozen whole kernel corn (10 oz)|
|1 C||peeled, diced, 1/2-inch raw potatoes|
|2 Tbsp||chopped fresh parsley|
|to taste||black pepper|
|2 C||low-fat (1%) or skim milk|
- Heat oil in medium saucepan.
- Add celery, onion, and green pepper and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add corn, potatoes, water, salt, pepper, and paprika. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium; and cook, covered, about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Place 1/2 cup milk in a jar with tight fitting lid. Add flour and shake vigorously.
- Add gradually to cooked vegetables and add remaining milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Serve garnished with chopped fresh parsley.
Yield: 4 servings--Serving Size: 1 cup
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 5 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 5 mg
Sodium: 205 mg