Use 1% milk and a small amount of margarine to make this cornbread lower in saturated fat and cholesterol.
|1/4 cup||white sugar|
|1 tsp||baking powder|
|1 cup||buttermilk, 1% fat|
|1/4 cup||margarine, regular, tub|
|1 tsp||vegetable oil (to grease baking pan)|
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Mix together cornmeal, flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- In another bowl, combine buttermilk and egg. Beat lightly.
- Slowly add buttermilk and egg mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Add margarine and mix by hand or with a mixer for 1 minute.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in an 8 by 8-inch greased baking dish. Cool.
- Cut into 10 squares.
Makes 10 servings--Serving Size: 1 square
Fat 6 g
Saturated fat 1 g
Cholesterol 22 mg
Sodium 94 mg