This cholesterol-free tasty dish is virtually fat free and is prepared with only 1 tablespoon of oil for 16 servings.
|2 cans||(16 oz) great northern beans|
|1 Tbsp||olive oil|
|1/2 lb||fresh mushrooms, sliced|
|1 C||onion, coarsely chopped|
|2 C||carrots, sliced|
|1 C||celery, coarsely chopped|
|1 clove||garlic, minced|
|3 C||cut-up peeled fresh tomatoes or 1-1/2 lbs canned whole
tomatoes cut up
|1 tsp||dried sage|
|1 tsp||dried thyme|
|1/2 tsp||dried oregano|
|to taste||black pepper|
|1||bay leaf, crumbled|
|4 C||cooked elbow macaroni|
- Drain beans and reserve liquid. Rinse beans.
- Heat oil in a 6-quart kettle; add mushrooms, onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, sage, thyme, oregano, pepper, and bay leaf.
- Cover and cook over medium heat 20 minutes. Cook macaroni according to directions on package using unsalted water. Drain when cooked. Do not overcook.
- Combine reserved bean liquid with water to make 4 cups.
- Add liquid, beans, and cooked macaroni to vegetable mixture.
- Bring to a boil; cover and simmer until soup is throughly heated. Stir occasionally.
Yield: 16 servings--Serving Size: 1 cup
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 1 g
Saturated fat: less than 1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 154 mg*
* If using canned tomatoes, sodium would be higher.