Tips That Helped Pedro Quit Smoking
- Pick a day to quit smoking.
- Write down the reasons you want to quit smoking. Put the list where you will see it every day.
- Throw away all cigarettes, lighters, and ashtrays. Don't buy any more cigarettes.
- Tell your family, friends, and coworkers the day you are quitting.
- Make a list of the people who will support you.
Make a plan to stay off cigarettes.
- Don't go to places that make you want to smoke.
- At parties, try not to be around your friends who smoke.
- When someone offers you a cigarette, say, "No, thank you. I don't smoke." You will soon see yourself as a nonsmoker.
Ask for help.
- Buy nicotine gum or skin patches, or ask your doctor for a prescription for medicine that will help you stay off cigarettes.
- Look for a local program to help you quit smoking.
Pedro Says: "I chose my son's birthday as my quit date. I got help from my wife and my friends. The doctor and a health educator also helped me. When I quit, they congratulated me on my success."
Previous Page | Next Page
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
Public Health Service
National Institutes of Health
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
NIH Publication No. 08-6356