Your Choice for Change - Honoring the Gift of Heart Health for American Indians
Section Seven - Enjoy Living Smoke Free. Take the Path to Heart Healthy Living.
Mary: "In the beginning, I was stressed and craved a cigarette. Instead of lighting up a cigarette, I called the "Quit Smoking" help line. They suggested that I chew sugarless gum and listen to music to help decrease the urge. It worked."
Try These Tips To Resist the Urge To Smoke:
- Keep your hands busy:
- Do arts and crafts.
- Start a project around the house.
- Put something in your mouth that is not a cigarette:
- Drink water.
- Chew sugarless gum.
- Eat vegetable sticks or apple slices.
- Chew on a short straw or a toothpick.
- If you are stressed, angry, tired, or nervous:
- Take a slow, deep breath, count to five, and release it. Repeat 10 times.
- Talk with a friend.
- Take a walk.
- Listen to music.
- When you get up in the morning:
- Brush your teeth and use mouthwash instead of smoking.
- If you've always had a cigarette with coffee, switch to tea for a while or drink water.
- Remember to keep tobacco sacred.
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
Public Health Service
National Institutes of Health
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
NIH Publication No. 08-6340