Celebrate in a Healthy Way With Your Family
Your Choice for Change - Honoring the Gift of Heart Health for American Indians
Section Five - Maintain a Healthy Weight! Stay Active and Feel Better!
Try Mary's Family Tips for Family Gatherings:
Mary: "I have a big family, and we get together often. Now, I prepare healthier food to bring to the gatherings. I encourage everyone to share their ideas for being active together, and we celebrate our successes. We older folks like walking or gardening. The young people like basketball and dancing. I want my family to follow a healthy path."
- We encourage each other to eat the right amount of food and not eat too much.
- Don't go to the family gathering hungry. Eat a heart healthy snack before you leave home.
- Bring a heart healthy dish to share. Prepare a dish with lots of vegetables.
- Cut down on calories and high-fat foods. Eat more vegetables and fruits instead of fried food.
- Watch your portions. Go for small portions, and eat slowly.
- Take the focus off food. Dance, take walks, or play sports such as basketball or other ball games. Plan activities for the kids. Encourage the family to get involved.
Previous Page | Next Page | Back to Table of Contents
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
Public Health Service
National Institutes of Health
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
NIH Publication No. 08-6340