Your Choice for Change - Honoring the Gift of Heart Health for American Indians
Section Five - Maintain a Healthy Weight! Stay Active and Feel Better!
Try Mary's Family Tips for Family Gatherings:
- We encourage each other to eat the right amount of food and not eat too much.
- Don't go to the family gathering hungry. Eat a heart healthy snack before you leave home.
- Bring a heart healthy dish to share. Prepare a dish with lots of vegetables.
- Cut down on calories and high-fat foods. Eat more vegetables and fruits instead of fried food.
- Watch your portions. Go for small portions, and eat slowly.
- Take the focus off food. Dance, take walks, or play sports such as basketball or other ball games. Plan activities for the kids. Encourage the family to get involved.
Mary: "I have a big family, and we get together often. Now, I prepare healthier food to bring to the gatherings. I encourage everyone to share their ideas for being active together, and we celebrate our successes. We older folks like walking or gardening. The young people like basketball and dancing. I want my family to follow a healthy path."
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
Public Health Service
National Institutes of Health
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
NIH Publication No. 08-6340