NHLBI’s COPD Learn More Breathe Better® Campaign
Online Press Kit
The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) of the National Institutes of Health, in partnership with leading professional societies, health, and advocacy organizations has launched COPD Learn More Breathe Better®, a national campaign designed to improve awareness among those at greatest risk for the disease.
What is COPD
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) is a serious lung disease that over time makes it hard to breathe. You may also have heard COPD called by other names, like emphysema or chronic bronchitis.
In people who have COPD, the airways are partially blocked, which makes it hard for the air to get in and out. COPD develops slowly and worsens over time.
Why COPD? Why Now?
- COPD is the #3 cause of death in America, claiming one life every 4 minutes.
- 12 million Americans have COPD and another 12 million may have it and not know it.
- Diagnosis involves a simple breathing test right in the doctor or health care provider’s office.
- Treatments can help patients live longer and more active lives.
- CDC and NIH survey provides first report of state-level COPD prevalence
- COPD awareness returns to 2008 levels, according to new NIH survey
- COPD awareness continues to rise, new NIH survey finds. Yet many at risk do not talk to their doctor about symptoms.
- NHLBI funds nine organizations to improve awareness of COPD
- New NIH Data Show Gains in COPD Awareness
- New Study in New England Journal of Medicine Reveals COPD, Even When Mild, Limits Heart Function
- New Survey Reveals Awareness of COPD Rising, Greater Understanding Still Needed
- The NHLBI Funds Fifteen Community Organizations to Conduct COPD Education
- New Survey Suggests Growing Awareness of COPD, Nation’s Fourth Leading Killer
- NIH Launches New Campaign Aimed at Increasing Awareness, Early Diagnosis and Treatment for COPD
- Statement from Elizabeth G. Nabel, M.D., Director, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, on COPD Awareness Month, November 2007.
- COPD: Better Talk Means Better Treatment. Communication barriers between providers and patients when it comes to talking about COPD — Infographic: 8.5 x 11, 246kb
- Demographic breakdown of COPD sufferers based on 2011 CDC BRFSS data — Infographic: 11.11 x 27.78, 2.41mb
- Awareness of COPD has steadily increased among U.S. adults since 2008 — Infographic: 3.5 x 5.5, 736kb | 5 x 7, 715kb
- Create a feature story by profiling a person with COPD. Address issues like risk factors, diagnosis, treatment and effective disease management techniques.
- Early diagnosis matters, focuses on the importance of diagnosis and treatment for people with COPD.
- Are you at risk? Explore the people most commonly affected by the disease, and outline the signs and symptoms.
- New frontiers, NIH’s COPD research program.
- Explore studies published in major medical journals or presented at annual medical professional conferences.
- Cover a local COPD event. See our Event Listing Page.
Click here for current print and radio PSAs as well as campaign widget
For more information or to schedule an interview, please contact the NHLBI communications office at 301-496-4236 or email@example.com or visit public.nhlbi.nih.gov/newsroom/home/newsroom.aspx.
*PDF files require the free Adobe Acrobat Reader application for viewing.