November is National COPD Awareness Month
Take the First Step to Breathing Better. Learn More About COPD.
As part of National COPD Awareness Month, the COPD Learn More Breathe Better® campaign encourages Breathe Better Network members and all those interested in raising COPD awareness to conduct events, discussions and other types of outreach to help facilitate conversations about COPD in your community.
Whether you are a large group or one individual, there is something we can all do to help those who may be affected by COPD take the first step to breathing better.
An estimated 24 million Americans suffer from COPD — but as many of half remain undiagnosed. However, with early diagnosis and treatment people with COPD can improve their quality of life and begin to breathe a little easier.
2012 Fall Outreach Toolkit
To assist you in your outreach, the COPD Learn More Breathe Better® campaign has developed the 2012 Fall Outreach Toolkit. Feel free to use all or parts of the 2012 Fall Outreach Toolkit featuring the following resources:
- A customizable Press Release to help promote your activities to local media.
- A template Letter-to-the-Editor that you can make your own with tips on how to place in your local print and/or online outlets.
- COPD Did You Know?* (3.2Mb) A hand out that gives five important COPD facts as well as easy steps people can take to connect with the campaign and learn more about COPD. (Comes two to a page for easy printing and distribution at your events.)
- A sample article on National COPD Awareness Month that you can use in your organization's newsletter, on your Web site or in other communications.
- COPD Learn More Breathe Better campaign radio and print public service announcements that detail the symptoms of COPD and how they affect daily life. (Radio PSAs are available in :30 and :60 second versions. Print PSAs are available in various sizes for use as posters and handouts, and in black and white and color publications.)
- Our animated Sounds of COPD widget includes audio clips of some of the most recognizable symptoms of COPD. Help those who may be at risk begin to listen to their lungs by sharing this widget on your blog or web page. To share via email, Facebook and Twitter, visit the Campaign Facebook page and click on Get Widget.
- COPD Learn More Breathe Better campaign fact sheets which contain important information about COPD symptoms, risk factors and how to get tested – as well as how to start that conversation with someone you love.
- Send an COPD e-card! Tell 4 friends about COPD and Awareness Month activities.
To raise awareness about COPD we all need to do our part. Across the country, Breathe Better Network members will be hosting gatherings during the month of November to facilitate conversations about COPD. To begin to increase the dialogue on COPD in your community, consider some of these ideas:
- If your group doesn't currently have an event or meeting planned in November, you can do something as simple as host an informal discussion on COPD at a local community center or even host a discussion in an online forum.
- If your group already has regular meetings, increase the dialogue by bringing a friend or family member that you think could be at risk.
- Set up a table to distribute important information on COPD outside events in your community. With the proper permissions, some of these locations could include your local library, shopping mall, church or community center.
- Hold a luncheon, a respiratory rally or a health fair/spirometry screening.
- Check out some of these event planning and outreach tips for additional ideas to help get you started.
Don't forget to register your event on the COPD Event Listing page and we will promote your activities via the campaign Web site, Facebook and Twitter pages!
Don't forget to visit the Campaign Materials page for additional resources including:
*PDF files require the free Adobe Acrobat Reader application for viewing.