A clinical trial (also called clinical research) is a research study in human volunteers to answer specific health questions. Carefully conducted clinical trials are the fastest and safest way to find treatments that work in people and ways to improve health.
Interventional trials determine whether experimental treatments or new ways of using known therapies are safe and effective under controlled environments. Observational trials address health issues in large groups of people or populations in natural settings. More information about clinical trials.
The following Clinical Trials sponsored by NHLBI are currently recruiting patients:
- CLEVER (Claudication: Exercise vs. Endoluminal Revascularization)
Objective of the study is to optimize physical functioning, increase activity levels, and reduce cardiovascular disease risk in older individuals with P.A.D.
Trial locations: CA, MN, NY, NC OH, PA, RI, WA
- Improving Functioning in Peripheral Arterial Disease
Purpose of this study is to determine whether lower extremity strength training improves walking ability in those with lower extremity P.A.D.
Trial location: IL
- Reducing Risk Factors in Peripheral Arterial Disease
Purpose of this study is to determine whether telephone counseling intervention can help those with lower extremity P.A.D. achieve ideal cholesterol levels.
Trial locations: IL, MA
- Catheter-based Treatment of Cardiovascular Disease
This study offers catheter-based treatment of heart or artery disease.
Trial location: MD
- EW-A-401 to Treat Intermittent Claudication
This study will test the safety of a drug called EW-A-401 in patients with intermittent claudication--pain and discomfort in the legs due to blockages of the arteries--and evaluate whether EW-A-401 improves blood flow to the legs.
Trial locations: AL, MD, WI
- Effect of Lipid Modification on P.A.D. after Endovascular Intervention
Trial location: TX
- Comprehensive Magnetic Resonance in P.A.D.
Trial location: VA
- Clinical Implications of Peripheral Plaque Morphology
Trial location: OH
- Clinical MRI of Peripheral Arterial Disease
Trial location: CA
- MRI Correlates of Limb Ischemia in PVD
Trial location: PA