YOSEMITE CHICKEN STEW & DUMPLINGS
Skinless chicken is the basis of this delicious stew with cornmeal dumplings made with low-fat milk.
For the stew:
|1 lb || skinless, boneless chicken meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
|1/2 C ||onion, coarsely chopped
|1 medium ||carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
|1 stalk ||celery, thinly sliced
|1/4 tsp ||salt
|to taste || black pepper
|1 pinch || ground cloves
|1 || bay leaf
|3 C || water
|1 tsp || cornstarch
|1 tsp || dried basil
|1 package || (10 oz) frozen peas
For the cornmeal dumplings:
|1 C ||yellow cornmeal
|3/4 C ||sifted all-purpose flour
|2 tsp ||baking powder
|1/2 tsp ||salt
|1 C ||low-fat (1%) milk
|1 Tbsp ||vegetable oil
For the stew:
- Place chicken, onion, carrot, celery, salt, pepper, cloves, bay leaf, and water in a
large saucepan. Heat to boiling; cover and reduce heat to simmer.
Cook about 1/2 hour or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken and vegetables from broth. Strain broth.
- Skim fat from broth; measure and, if necessary, add water to make 3 cups liquid.
- Mix cornstarch with 1 cup cooled broth by shaking vigorously in a jar with a tight-fitting lid.
- Pour into saucepan with remaining broth; cook, stirring constantly,
until mixture comes to a boil and is thickened.
- Add basil, peas, and reserved vegetables to sauce; stir to combine.
- Add chicken and heat slowly to boiling while preparing cornmeal dumplings.
For the dumplings:
Yield: 6 servings--Serving size: 1-1/4 cup stew with 2 dumplings
- Sift together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix together milk and oil. Add milk mixture all at once to dry ingredients;
stir just enough to moisten flour and evenly distribute liquid. Dough will be soft.
- Drop by full tablespoons on top of braised meat or stew.
Cover tightly; heat to boiling. Reduce heat (do not lift cover) to simmering and steam
about 20 minutes.
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 5 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 43 mg
Sodium: 471 mg