BLACK SKILLET BEEF WITH GREENS & RED POTATOES
A heart-healthy one-dish meal that is made with lean top round beef, lots of vegetables, and a spicy, herb mixture.
|1 lb || top round beef
|1 Tbsp || paprika
|1-1/2 tsp || oregano
|1/2 tsp || chili powder
|1/4 tsp || garlic powder
|1/4 tsp || black pepper
|1/8 tsp || red pepper
|1/8 tsp || dry mustard
|8 || red-skinned potatoes, halved
|3 C || finely chopped onion
|2 C || beef broth
|2 large || garlic cloves, minced
|2 large || carrots, peeled, cut into very thin 2-1/2-inch strips
|2 bunches || mustard greens, kale, or turnip greens, stems removed, (1/2 lb each) coarsely torn
|as needed || nonstick spray coating
- Partially freeze beef. Thinly slice across the grain into
long strips 1/8-inch thick and 3 inches wide.
- Combine paprika, oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, black pepper,
red pepper, and dry mustard. Coat strips of meat with the spice mixture.
- Spray a large heavy skillet with nonstick spray coating.
Preheat pan over high heat.
- Add meat; cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, onion, broth, and garlic.
Cook covered, over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Stir in carrots, lay greens over top, and cook,
covered, until carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Serve in large serving bowl, with crusty bread for dunking.
Yield: 6 servings--Serving Size: 7 oz
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 4 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 45 mg
Sodium: 101 mg