- 8 ounces dry whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced (about ½ clove)
- 4 cups assorted cooked vegetables—such as red pepper strips, broccoli florets, carrot sticks, or green beans
- 1 15½-ounce can no-salt added diced tomatoes
- 1 5½-ounce can low-sodium tomato juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a 4-quart saucepan, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil over high heat.
- Add spaghetti, and cook according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, combine olive oil and garlic in a large sauté pan. Cook until garlic is soft, but not browned (about 30 seconds).
- Add mixed vegetables, and cook until vegetables are soft, but not browned (about 3–5 minutes).
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato juice, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add spaghetti and parmesan cheese. Toss until the pasta is hot and well mixed, and serve.
Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: 2 cups pasta and vegetables
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 4 mg
Sodium 167 mg
Total Fiber 12 g
Protein 13 g
Carbohydrates 59 g
Potassium 596 mg
Recipe Source: Keep the Beat™ Recipes: Deliciously Healthy Family Meals