Crispy Oven-Fried Chicken
½ cup fat-free milk or buttermilk
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 cup cornflakes, crumbled
1 ½ tablespoons onion powder
1 ½ tablespoons garlic powder 2 teaspoons black pepper
1 ½ teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons dried hot pepper, crushed
1 teaspoon ginger, ground
8 pieces chicken, skinless (4 breasts, 4 drumsticks)
A few shakes paprika
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Add ½ teaspoon of poultry seasoning to milk.
- Combine all other spices with cornflake crumbs, and place in plastic bag.
- Wash chicken and pat dry. Dip chicken into milk and shake to remove excess. Quickly shake in bag with seasonings and crumbs, and remove the chicken from the bag.
- Refrigerate chicken for 1 hour.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator and sprinkle lightly with paprika for color.
- Space chicken evenly on greased baking pan.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for another 30-40 minutes or until meat can easily be pulled away from the bone with fork. Drumsticks may require less baking time than breasts. Crumbs will form crispy "skin."
Note: Do not turn chicken during baking.
Yield: 10 servings
Serving Size: ½ breast or 2 small drumsticks
Total Fat 3g
Saturated Fat 1g
Cholesterol 49 mg
Sodium 67 mg
Total Fiber 1 g
Protein 17 g
Carbohydrates 6 g
Potassium 1 mg
Recipe Source: Heart Healthy Home Cooking African American Style