Here's a lasagna recipe with healthy ingredient substitutions that you can make at home with your kids.
|1 box lasagna noodles||None|
|1 pound ground beef||1 pound extra lean ground beef (93% lean) or lean ground turkey|
|1/2 cup chopped onion||None|
|8 ounces mushrooms, optional||None|
|1 jar (about 16 ounces) spaghetti sauce, your favorite||1 jar spaghetti sauce, low fat or no sugar added|
|1 teaspoon garlic powder||None|
|1/2 teaspoon salt||None|
|1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano, crumbled||None|
|1/2 teaspoon dried leaf basil, crumbled||None|
|1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese||1 1/2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese|
|2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese||2 cups fat-free or low-fat Monterey Jack cheese|
|3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese||3/4 cup low-fat Parmesan cheese|
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown beef, onion, and mushrooms.
- Stir in spaghetti sauce, garlic powder, salt, oregano, and basil.
- In a 2-quart baking dish (about 11x7x2 inches) greased with cooking spray, layer 1/3 of the ricotta cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, and Parmesan cheeses.
- Repeat layers twice.
- Bake lasagna for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated and bubbly.
Note: Don't forget to drain the fat from the meat after you brown it.