- 2 cups canned low-sodium black beans, rinsed
- 2 cups frozen broccoli, corn, and pepper vegetable mix, thawed
- 2 cups grilled boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced (about 4 small breasts)
- ½ cup shredded low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, rinsed, dried, and chopped (or substitute 1 teaspoon dried coriander)
- 2 tablespoons scallions (green onions), rinsed and chopped (or substitute red onions)
- 2 (6½-inch) whole-wheat pitas
- 1 cup Tangy Salsa
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Combine beans, vegetables, chicken, cheese, and seasonings. Mix well.
- Cut pitas in half, and open the pockets. Divide filling evenly between the four halves (about 1 1/2 cup each).
- Place pitas on a nonstick baking sheet, and bake for about 10 minutes until the filling is hot, cheese melts, and chicken is reheated.
- Serve each empañapita with ¼ cup of Tangy Salsa.
Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: 1 stuffed pita half, ¼ cup Tangy Salsa
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 34 mg
Sodium 374 mg,
Total Fiber 14 g
Protein 27 g
Carbohydrates 60 g
Potassium 741 mg
Recipe Source: Keep the Beat™ Recipes: Deliciously Healthy Family Meals