- It is recess time. Everyone is outside on the
playground running, climbing on the jungle gym, playing ball, and jumping rope.
It is a windy, spring day with lots of pollen in the air. One of the things
which brings on Juan's asthma is pollen. Juan is sitting all alone near the
school with nothing to do.
- Kesha's science team wants to learn about caring
for animals for their science report. One of the things which brings on her
asthma is a furry pet. Without this project, the team will not get a good
- Joey is a new boy to our class. On one of his first
days at school, he had an asthma episode. Now he never joins the other children
at active games during recess and stays to himself.
- Maria is the best runner on the class relay
team--if she remembers to take her asthma medicine and avoid asthma symptoms.
She hates to take her medicine because she says it tastes yucky. She also says
it makes her feel different and sick. The class really wants to win the school
- The prize for the winning class in a school contest
is to have the school rabbit mascot "Little Bunny" live in the classroom for a
month. There are two children with asthma in the classroom.
- Jennifer is supposed to take her asthma medicine
right before lunch. Each day she has to go to the nurse's room to get it, and
this makes her a few minutes late getting to the cafeteria. When she gets to
lunch, she has to sit with a group of younger children because there is no seat
with her class.
- Each day when they jump rope before school, Kim
sees that her friend Marta cannot seem to catch her breath even long after they
have stopped jumping rope.
- Kadir never has had asthma problems in school, and
the teacher doesn't know about it. The teacher has given Kadir the job of
clapping the very dusty erasers. This is one of the things that brings on his
- Miguel plays for his class soccer team. Today there
is an important game with a rival class. Exercise is one of the things which
brings on his asthma. He has forgotten to bring his asthma medicine to school.
- While putting together a display of old Native
American crafts which had many furred items, Tran noticed that he could not
stop coughing. He remembered that he did the same thing when he borrowed a
friend's fur-lined gloves.
< Table of